Aug 2, 2012

Don't Fear The Reaper Read-Along [Week #1]


Week #1

1. We meet some of Charley’s ghostly “buddies,” do you believe you have ever had a ghostly encounter?

I actually do believe in ghosts. It's weird cause I am a woman of science. Maybe it's cause I have spent my whole life watching horror movies or because I had some weird experiences I can't explain, like hearing someone whispering my name in my ear while sleeping alone in the house.

2. Charley named her jeep Misery. Have you ever named your vehicles? What did you name them?

As hard as it might seem to believe I never had a vehicle. In Greece, we get a driving license after we turn 18 and I had it ever since but my mom refuses to buy me my own car and I barely go back to my hometown so she barely lets me drive hers either. And since I keep prolonging my studies and have no job I think I will be around 25 when I get my first car. 3 more years to go...

3. Charley says her name “…brooks no opposition. It takes shit from no one.” What do you think your name says about you to strangers? Is there a different name that you think would suit you better?

There is actually a story behind my name. I wasn't originally names Veronica. The name I was given when born is Gnostothea (I am not sure if any of you will pronounce that right), anyways, I always hated my name only me and my grandmother had it in the whole Greece cause it's not even a real name. I have no idea why her godmother named her that. Anyways, I always complained about having such a weird and ugly name so after a lot of pressure my dad decided we should add another name (Love you daddy). I then spent a month trying to pick out a name that fits me, with the help of my best friend we picked Veroniki, which is the greek equivalent to Veronica. And that became my middle name ever since. (Oh, btw greeks don't usually have middle names) Veroniki is also very rare in Greece but at least is an actual name and I love it. So ever since that day, 7 years ago I only use that name. And actually most of my friends call me Vero. Which, as they told me, brings to their mind someone weird, different and a little bit crazy. That's me!

4. Charley says her best friend Cookie is “like Kramer from Seinfeld, only not so nervous, like Kramer might have been on Prozac.” Give us your best description of your best friend. How would they would describe you?

I always thought that Kat, my best friend, is alot like Blair form Gossip Girl, without the mean girl factor, she has the exact same style. As for me she once told me that I remind her Garcia from Criminal Minds. I am a computer science student, so I guess it's all the computer stuff. I can see myself in her small windowless office surrounded by 6 computers. It'd actually be kind of cool. 

5. Garrett is reluctant to believe in Charley’s abilities, how would you react if a friend divulged to you that they can see and speak with the dead?

If someone asks my friends who they believe is able to see ghosts they'd all say me. It's actually weird, but I am proud of that. But if a friend told me he could see ghosts I'd be ecstatic and a little bit jealous. It is something that would make our lifes so much more interesting and I would welcome it. But yeah, I might need some proof. 

15 comments:

  1. I love the story of your new middle name. Middle names aren't that common around the world. I think Veronica is a great pick.

    I like that you are open to ghosts and Charley's other-worldly abilities. I think people can be too arrogant thinking "what you see is what you get."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is awesome that you got to pick out your middle name! I guess if you end up not liking it then you have no one to blame but yourself LOL! ;P

    I had no idea you liked computers so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is quite the name! I m glad your dad was understanding and let you pick out your new name. Well only three more years until you get a car. Will you name it? I am so glad you are participating. I hope you are loving the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story behind your name. It's beautiful. Both your given and chosen names!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, once you do get a car don't forget to name it! :D

    Dude, that is such a cool story about your name. And to actually pick what you though best fit you is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great that you got to pick a new name, (awesome daddy), you were right, I couldn't pronounce the first one but Veroniki is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely LOVE your answers. I LOVE Garcia from Criminal Minds. Love her style =D And loved the story behind your name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the story about your middle name. I also feel your pain in people not able to pronounce your name. My name has been mangled in so many ways that I basically answer to anything. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another person who never had a car! Weird to imagine where I live. I love Blair from Gossip Girl! I would probably be jealous of my friend if she could talk to ghosts too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved that you got to pick your own middle name. What a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. γεια!
    εχουμε το ιδιο ονομα...γνωστοθεα!...η καταγωγη της γιαγια σου απο που ηταν?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plaka kaneis! Den exo gnorisei allo atomo me auto to onoma, pera apo tin giagia mou. Apo oti mou exoun pei to onoma to dialekse i nona tis, den to eixe kaneis suggenis.

      Delete
  12. ..για φαντασου!..υπαρχει αλλη μια κυρια με το ονομα αυτο,ζει στη θεσ/νικη!εγω,ζω στην αθηνα.η καταγωγη του ονοματος ειναι μ.ασιατικη...το ειχε η προγιαγια μου κ της κυριας αυτης η γιαγια,οι οποιες ηταν κ οι δυο απο μ.ασια...ψαχνω ανα τακτα χρονικα διαστηματα πληροφοριες για το ονομα μας!ηταν εκπληξη για μενα που εισαι απο την κρητη!..κατεβαινω καθε χρονο,σχεδον!η καταγωγη μου ειναι απο τα χανια!παντως,ολες νιωθαμε λιδο περιεργα με αυτο!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apo Alexandroupoli eimai basika, apla mena Kriti. Kai apo oti thumamai i mitera tis giagias mou eixe erthei ston Ebro apo tin Anatoliki Thraki, mporei kai i nona tis na itan apo ekei. Nai, to onoma einai polu spanio.

      Delete
  13. το ιδιο ισχυει περιπου κ με την αλλη κυρια!εμενα, η μητερα τησ γιαγιας μου ηταν απο το ικονιο της μ ασιας..εισαι η μικροτερη απο ολες,λοιπον!εγω ειμαι 28 κ η τριτη της παρεας λιγο πιο μεγαλη απο εμας!.....παντως, εγω πλεον το συνηθισα κ μου αρεσει κιολας!..ξεχωριστα ονοματα σε ξεχωριστους ανθρωπους!

    ReplyDelete