Dec 14, 2015

It's All About Korea: Part 1 - Where It All Began (The Try Guys and Big Bang)

Hello everyone! Or better yet: 안녕하세요 여러분! It's All About Korea is going to be a new segment in my blog (that has been slowly dying). The first month I will start with an introduction about how I got into Korean and Korea life in general and the different Korean resources I've been using and many more. So if you are a K-drama, K-pop fan, or a Korea fan in general stay tuned.

After the first introductory month I will be doing a monthly wrap-up post about anything Korean that has caught my attention.

So, let's begin with WHERE IT ALL BEGAN

PART 1:
First of all as some of you might know, because of the amount of manga I am reviewing in this blog I love Japan and anything Japanese, I've also tried learning Japanese a few years back but the writing system is a b*tch and I gave up after a few months. However I still listened to J-rock/pop (it's probably still my favorite music genre). Through J-rock/pop I came across a Korean group: Big Bang. That was probably 5-6 years ago, when Big Bang were not as huge as they are today. So I came across one of their Japanese pop songs, Gara Gara Go
You can tell it's a pretty old song, but it was so catchy that I loved it. And that was pretty much my only K-pop experience until a couple of months ago...

At the end of September Buzzfeed and The Try Guys who I adore, released a series of 5 videos about K-pop and Korea culture in general. You can watch the five hilarious videos HERE. On the very first video they listened to a few new K-pop songs and one of them was Bang Bang Bang by Big Bang, so for me that was the rabbit hole and just like Alice I down I went and lost my self in Korean Wonderland.

This was a brief explanation of how I got into K-pop and what drove me to start learning Korean (understanding lyrics). Here is a preview of what's to come this month.
  • PART 2: Studying Korean with TalktomeinKorean.com and bilingual books
  • PART 3: K-Pop and Korean shows
  • PART 4: YouTubing about the Korean Wave and Korean subscription boxes

1 comment:

  1. You're Korean, right?
    God has lotssa Korean folk Upstairs -
    most of em are a prayerfull peepow.
    GBY

    ReplyDelete